Christian College Buddies Discussions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Continuation of Yoga Discussion

2 posters

Go down

Continuation of Yoga Discussion Empty Continuation of Yoga Discussion

Post  Doug.Renken Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Proceed...

Doug.Renken
Admin

https://ccbd.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Continuation of Yoga Discussion Empty Re: Continuation of Yoga Discussion

Post  Doug.Renken Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:22 pm

This isn't focused on just the physical act, like Eppen and I agreed before, I think it comes down to the action in its context (this seems consistent with the Bible, but if you disagree I'd like to see what passages disagree with it). So you can bow down physically and it'll be okay with God, but bow down in front of an idol and the act alone is detestable. Similarly, if you're just stretching and happen to hit a pose that is worship in Yoga, as long as you're clear from that context it's fine (I would think, I'd like to have more Biblical support for this as well). So like I've said, I don't know exactly where that line is, but I think we should be able to agree it's somewhere between going to Yoga being bad, and stretching without any reference to Yoga is good. If everyone can agree to start there I'm willing to chase it down farther.

And I guess that's where the disconnect is... in "American" Yoga, I would argue that the context just isn't there. If the instructors and participants are not aware of the background of real Yoga or specifically just make it about the physical and not the spirituality/meditation aspect, then it really is just another stretching program. If you walk into a studio that has pictures or statues of Hindu gods, then it is probably time to leave because this probably wouldn't be "American" Yoga.

Doug.Renken
Admin

https://ccbd.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott.Kranz Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 am

Okay Doug, but from what are you drawing that conclusion? What I've shown is that not only I, but also Hindus and our churches disagree with you.

What I've referenced before is that the Bible tells us not to trust our own judgement, so that should not be the only thing you go off of. Since we already know your church disagrees with you, I'd contest that only the Bible itself should overrule their judgement. That's why I'm asking so profusely for scriptural support to this vantage point.

Scott.Kranz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum